The original EPICBLUE SWIMRUN was held in the beautiful coastal Italian town of Finale Ligure, within the framework of Flow Festival, in 2019.
Against the picturesque backdrop of the of the cliffs of Liguria, in the Italian Riviera, be challenged by a SWIMRUN experience that infuses nature with history to offer a timeless adventure.
The global movement of SWIMRUN has added a new sense of adventure to multisport formats. This unique composition of swimming and running entails participants to interchange between the two without changing clothes, and carrying everything they need for the race with them.
The sport normally involves teams of two, however with our EPICBLUE SWIMRUN - SHORT EXPERIENCE format, you have the option to register as a solo participant as well.
In accordance to the SWIMRUN tradition, we have created this race on the three original pillars:
Perfectly aligned to push the limits and challenge pro-athletes and highly-active semi-professionals. The course is breath-taking, tough and promises to challenge and inspire. Running over hills, through olive groves, single track trails and local villages, athletes will need to be strong in order to excel in the 17,5 km trail running portion of this race.
The swimming section will invite you to a salty challenge, with 10 sections – the longest stretch being 1,5 km.
The shorter experience race for avid ocean and sporting enthusiasts. This unique course is especially formulated for those who are new to the sport and passionate about the cause. With shorter distances and only comprising of 6 swim sections, this format is ideal for those who are not quite ready to compete over bigger distances.
It is the perfect experiential introduction to the beauty of SWIMRUN.
Here you´ll find everything you need to know as a racer at the swimrun race in Finale Ligure, IT.
Please read through the various resources thoroughly as the information is of the utmost importance for your experience before and during the race.
Good luck and have fun!
+33 626 612 673
- To be able to participate in SWIMRUN FINALE LIGURE you must be at least 18 years of age and be able to swim.
- The LONG ENDURANCE race can only be competed in as a TEAM which consists of two persons.
- The SHORT EXPERIENCE is open to both TEAMS of two and SOLO competitors.
TEAM >> Men, Women and Mixed | The first 3 TEAMS in each category will be rewarded in both the SHORT EXPERIENCE and the LONG ENDURANCE.
SOLO >> The first 3 Men, first 3 Women and the first person in each age group will be rewarded.
Age Groups :
- 18 – 30
- 31 – 49
- 50 and over
LONG ENDURANCE – Team
- 150€ “Early Bird” fee for registration on or before 14 March 2020
- 170€ for registration from 15 March 2020 to 14 August 2020
- 190€ for registration from 15 August 2020
- Registration closes: 23 September 2020
SHORT EXPERIENCE – Solo
- 40€ “Early Bird” fee for registration on or before 14 March 2020
- 60€ for registration from 15 March 2020 to 14 August 2020
- 70€ for registration from 15 August 2020
- Registration closes: 23 September 2020
SHORT EXPERIENCE – Team
- 80€ “Early Bird” fee for registration on or before 14 March 2020
- 100€ for registration from 15 March 2020 to 14 August 2020
- 120€ for registration from 15 August 2020
- Registration closes: 23 September 2020
Each team member needs to have a valid insurance for SWIMRUN or Triathlon.
If a national license is not provided, a daily insurance will be invoiced at the cost of 7€.
- The athletes must know the rules and follow them.
- The athletes shall respect other athletes, the organisation, spectators, tourists, the environment and the people living in the race area.
- The athletes are not allowed to use unfair methods to get advantages.
- Doping is forbidden.
During the race
- The athletes are participating at their own risk and cannot hold the organisation responsible for any accident during the race.
- The teams / individuals athletes are obliged at their best ability to help another participant who has been injured or is sick.
- A team / individual who has abandoned the race shall report it as soon as possible to the organisation.
- If, for any reason an athlete needs to abandon the race, the other team member must also stop.
- Garbage can only be left at the ECO areas. Littering will lead to automatic disqualification at first offence.
- For safety reasons we will allow NO tow-line on the first running sections of any race.
Race jury has 3 persons from the race organisation.
The race jury:
- Enforces the rules;
- Decides the outcome of a protest;
- Decides about disqualification;
- Decide about course changes and changes in the rules.
- At least two members of the jury are needed to be able to take a race jury decision.
- The race jury has the right to use “common sense” to take a decision about a situation, if it is not clear in the rules.
- The decision of the race jury is definitive.
A protest must be submitted in writing to the race organisation within an hour after finishing the race. A protest must include:
- Time and location;
- Team number and signatures of the team members;
- Team number or team name of the team the protest is against;
- The reason for the protest;
- If possible, include witness with name or team number.
A protest that does not fill the criteria of the above points will be ignored.
A decision from the race jury will be communicated to those involved as soon as possible.
Offence against the rules may lead to time penalty or in worst case to a disqualification. Causes of Disqualification:
- Missing one of the mandatory equipment;
- No lycra bib vest;
- 200m outside off the zone;
- No assistance to a team member or an organiser in danger;
- Pollution of any site;
- Declining medical exam;
- It is not allowed to receive assistance from other people than the race organisation.
- Each team has to make their own way from start to finish
The registration will take place:
Saturday 26 September 2020 – 15:00 – 19:00
Sunday 27 September 2020 – 07:30 – 09:30
EPICBLUE Registration Tent
You are required to come prepared with the following:
- Your photo ID
- A medical certificate showing the practice of endurance in SWIMRUN or triathlon, dated within the last 3 months. If a national licence is not provided, a daily insurance will be invoiced at the cost of 7€.
- All participants must provide their full name and details of any health problems or medication upon entry.
- All registrations are definitive and will not be reimbursed. Withdrawal before the event for any impediment or medical issue, should be addressed to the participants personal insurance.
- It is allowed to change one team member of the same gender.
General info about Equipment
- All teams must bring all their equipment from start to finish.
- Teams picking-up or dropping-off equipment will be disqualified, unless designated pick-up and drop-off zones exists.
- Before the race there will be spot checks of the mandatory kit.
Principal equipment per Team
- A Neoprene wetsuit (shorty type) per person suitable for the current water temperatures. – voluntary
- Trainers, trail shoes – mandatory
- Swim goggles – mandatory
- Swim cap (the one provided by the organisation) – mandatory
- Hand paddles – mandatory
- Pull-buoy and/or Neoprene calf sleeves – mandatory
- Tow-line (for TEAM Category) – voluntary
- Energy snacks to sustain the athletes for the race – 1500 kcal per team – voluntary
Technical pack (provided by the organiser)
- Timing chip (lost or not returned timing chip will be charged 50 Euro) – mandatory
- Restube, water safety device. (Lost or not returned Restube will be charged 70 Euro) – mandatory
- Lycra bib vest, one per person, must be visibly worn during the entire race, failure to do so will lead to disqualification – mandatory
- Swim cap, one per person, must be worn in all swimming areas – mandatory
- Swim fins are NOT allowed if the fin is longer than 15 cm. (Measurement is from the toe to the end of the fin).
26 September 2020 – Saturday | Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II
- 14:00: ARRIVAL & CHECK-IN OF ATHLETES
- 15:00 – 19:00: REGISTRATION EPICBLUE SWIMRUN – RACE PACK
- 17:30: RACE BRIEFING for all participants of the EPICBLUE RACE
27 September 2020 – Sunday
- 07:30 – 09:30: REGISTRATION EPICBLUE SWIMRUN – RACE PACK
- 10:45: RACE BRIEFING FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS OF THE EPICBLUE RACE
- 11:30: EPICBLUE SWIMRUN START
- 13:00: SHORT EXPERIENCE FIRST FINISHERS
- 15:00: LONG ENDURANCE FIRST FINISHERS
- 17:00: AWARD’S CEREMONY
- 19:30 : EPICBLUE FINALE LIGURE FINISHER PARTY
- The race course is marked.
- The athletes must follow the race course shown in the map.
- Athletes who do not follow the course will be disqualified.
- Athletes shall not overtake other teams and shall walk past tourists within marked-up “danger zones”.
Checkpoints / Energy Stations
- There will be several water / food checkpoints throughout the course
- There may be additional un-announced checkpoints along course, not shown on map.
- Teams failing to pass a checkpoint will be disqualified.
- There will be several medical points where participants can get help if needed.
- There will be medical staff and equipment on boats and on land.
- The time is from the start until the finish line.
- The TEAM has to pass all timing checkpoints and the finish line together.
- Throughout the course there will be cut-off points that teams need to pass by a certain time to be able to continue racing.
- Teams must pass cut-off point(s) with a certain time frame presented during the compulsory Race Brief at the latest. Teams or solos who do not make it to specified cut-off point(s) in time will be taken off the race and disqualified.
- Information about the cut off times will be given the day before the start.
Categories and Prizes
TEAM >> First 3 TEAM Men, women and mixed | for the LONG ENDURANCE Course
TEAM >> First TEAM Men, women and mixed | for the SHORT EXPERIENCE Course
SOLO >> First 3 Men, First 3 Women
Age Groups :
- 18 – 30
- 31 – 49
- 50 and over
General Safety Rules
- The two members of each team have to stay together at all times and cannot be more than 20 meters apart on land or 10 metres during swimming.
- Athletes shall never move further away than 10m from the trail.
- The race organisation & the medical team can refuse a team to continue if they:
- are not equipped with above specified compulsory equipment;
- are not capable to continue the race, due to fatigue or being in poor physical condition.
- Athletes must enter water feet first. Diving into water head first is not allowed.
Health and Safety
- A medical assistance team will ensure the participants’ security.
- Medical personnel authorised by the event may examine any participant who appears in distress. If in the sole opinion of authorised medical personnel, it is in the best interest of the participant’s health and welfare, medical personnel may remove the participant from the event.
- Participants must retire at oncefrom race if ordered to do so by a member of the event’s official staff, official medical staff.
- We will NOT accept ANY trash along the course.
- Bins will be provided throughout the route.
- Be prepared to carry any trash between the provided stations
- September in Finale Ligure, Italy, is one of the most pleasant months and normally sees dry weather with little rainfall and an average of 2 days of rain. The temperature lies around an average maximum of 25.0°C (77.0°F) and a minimum of 15.0°C (59.0°F). With a water temperature of around 22.0°C (71.6°F), this is a great month to hit the water. Expect 12 hour days with sunset at 19:00.
- In case of extreme weather such as high winds or big sea or in case of another unexpected situation, the race organisation has the right to shorten or change the course or in worst case cancel the race.
- The teams are allowed to have sponsors marked on their race gear.
Race Swim Caps
- Race swim caps cannot be modified in any way and must be worn and visible at all times when in the water.
- Race bibs cannot be modified in any way and must be worn at all times.
Pictures and Images Rights
- Athletes give the race organisers the right to use pictures and film material taken during the race. These can be used free of rights in marketing, press material, internet, television and movies. Athletes also accept our video or film crew to use drones as part of filming on the course.
- All images and rights from the event are reserved. All unauthorised commercial use of images will be legally addressed.
- We will have a dedicated and extensive media production team during the event, and you can expect to see photographers and press along the course.
- We will share content online via our website and on social media using #SWIMRUNFINALE
- Our images are free for personal usage but not commercial use for promoting other events.
Please contact us if you would like to access material for media: email@example.com
- We deeply believe that each destination we get to experience, has so much to offer and we strongly suggest you take the time to enjoy it.
- Bring your friends and family members to enjoy the week with you.
- Our hosting partner, FLOW Festival, offers various activities and experiences for all ages.
- FLOW Festival also offers many activities for kids.
- Finale Ligure offers a variety of apartment rentals, hotels, and B&B accommodation, something to suit everyone’s taste.
- Noli, a nearby small medieval village overlooking the sea, offers a small selection of accommodation options. This is deemed to be an outdoor sporting paradise for open water swimming, MTB, trekking, trail running and free climbing on the Capo Noli cliffs.
- EPICBLUE SWIMRUN Finale Ligure is run during FLOW Outdoor Festival, further details on accommodation and dining options are available on their website http://www.flow-festival.it/en/hospitality/
- Finale Ligure, Varigotti and Noli offer a variety of typical Ligurian restaurants to choose from, as well as several supermarkets from which to purchase food.
in partnership with
Over fishing, climate change, pollution, and the lack of education have pushed our oceans to the brink of collapse.
Meridian Adventure has deeply invested in bringing people who love the ocean together around ocean conservation at their own events: using their energy in their sport, for good.
It's not just a race.